As much as possible I choose to pack light. But I always keep in mind to pack right before packing light.
There were countless times I wanted to bring more stuff than what was needed just because they look fashionable. Obviously, I learned the hard way. After multiple blisters and stressful packing, I came up with my non-negotiable travel list. No matter where I go, I stash these items in my carry-on or in my check-in bag.
1. Leggings – Be it cold or warm, a pair of leggings/jeggings is a traveler’s best friend.
It’s an easy option for an airport outfit. You can easily pair it with a loose top or polo. You can also wear it if you plan on doing extra activities while traveling (e.g. jogging, trekking, hiking).
2. Black Dress – All seasons covered! It’s always best to pack one dress whenever you travel. It’s perfect for a casual and effortless look. And you might use it for a spontaneous night out too.
3. Scarf/Shawl – Scarves are not just for winter. I came to realize the need to have this every time I travel when I did a land trip moving from one country to another. I thought I won’t need one in a very hot/humid place. I ended up buying one there since the long bus rides gave me chills. Since then, I always bring a scarf with me.
4. Jacket – Just like scarves, jackets are not just for colder seasons. Airports and aeroplanes can be really cold. Also, there are tropical countries which has colder places like Cameron Highlands in Malaysia or the peaks in Hong Kong. If you easily get cold, bringing a jacket, preferably lightweight, is a must.
5. White Sneakers – You can never go wrong with a pair of white kicks. Some say choose comfort over style, others choose the opposite. I say both! Because, why not?
6. White Shirt – Like the black dress, a white shirt, polo, or dress is also a travel essential. Makes your outfit look dainty and neat too!
7. Comfortable Boots – I was never a fan of wearing boots. I still think I look shorter wearing one. I never thought I’d say this but owning a good brand of boots is a must for travelers.
I say this with love, choose a comfortable pair of boots. Don’t be quick to choose the pair which only looks pretty. Try to walk on them before you decide to buy them. Investing in a good pair of boots will really go a looooooong way. There’s no need to keep on buying a new pair. Saves you from blisters and money too!
8. Backpack – Just because! Aside from one handbag, I always bring one backpack, be it foldable or my usual travel backpack. I prefer using a backpack especially when my day consists of too much walking.
9. Sunglasses – Fashionable and functional. I usually have my transition eyeglasses double as my sunglasses. There are a number of optical shops that customize prescription sunglasses, Sunnies Philippines for one. Even if I own several pairs of sunglasses, I still end up bringing my transition eyeglasses. I’m just used to it.
10. Personal Bag – Aside from your backpack or handbag, I really think it’s also important to have, at least, a separate smaller bag for your valuables.
I realized this when I traveled alone. There are times when I set up my camera and just place my backpack on the ground. Scared of someone picking up my bag, I brought a smaller bag to keep my important stuff (e.g. passport, phone, and bills).
That’s it for now. I hope this can encourage you to create your own list of travel essentials. Shout out to Truly Tara for capturing the photos on this post.
Feel free to leave comments or message me via e-mail if you have any questions. If you like this article and want to see and know more about my trips and tips, follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.